- Service lab for biological and soft materials
- In-house negative staining for viruses, bacteria, proteins, polymers, nanoparticles, etc.
- SEM preparation for biological materials, with custom SEM prep available
- Full embedding and microtoming services, including cryo-ultramicrotomy
- Experience with preparing biological samples using fixative
- Cryo TEM: sample preparation and analysis
- GEMSIM 2.1 Nanoplotter NP2.1 with attachments for robotic, nano-liter controlled spotting of cells
- Cellink Bio X 3D printer for multiple-injection
- CADworks microfluidics printer with attachments
- MTI electrospinning system with 3 collector and temperature/humidity control for fiber production
- Beckman Optima LE-80K ultracentrifuge with rotors
- MFP-3D-Bio Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) this system includes the Olympus IX71 inverted optical fluorescence microscope for direct imaging of sample areas of interest.
- Zeiss Fluorescence Confocal LSM7 microscope
- Zeiss Axiovert
The Battery Lab at MRL provides primarily the fabrication, processing, and characterization of Lithium-ion batteries. It has all the facilities to fabricate pouch cells and coin cells in the laboratory scale, including their complete electrochemical characterizations at room temperature.
The Advanced Materials Testing and Evaluation Laboratory is a state-of-the-art facility for mechanical testing of coupon specimens to determine baseline engineering properties, conduct sophisticated biaxial testing, and perform full field optical stress analysis.
The lab includes test frames with a range of tension-tension and tension-torsion loading at rates appropriate for creep testing up to high cycle fatigue analysis. Each of these machines can additionally be coupled with a broad range of temperature control capabilities.
Machine capacities vary from 500 Newtons to 400 kilonewtons for sample dimensions ranging from microns to centimeters. In conjuction with these servohydraulic and screw driven load frames, AMTEL has developed a state-of-the-art optical stress analysis lab with modern tools for Digital Image Correlation (DIC), Photoelastic Stress Analysis (PSA), Thermoelastic Stress Analysis (TSA) as well as Thermography capabilities for nondestructive testing. Metallic, polymer, semiconductor, biological, ceramic, and composite samples can be tested to study the fatigue, creep and fracture behavior of materials and components.