Become a User
The preferred mode of operation at MRL is self use after completing the necessary training. In certain cases when advanced characterization is required or if the project is short-term, facility staff may perform the analysis/processing of samples for users. All users are required to submit a proposal before work can begin. Additionally, researchers who are not from the University of Illinois are required to have a Facilities Use Agreement (for self use), or a Technical Testing Agreement (for sample analysis by MRL staff) in place.
- Procedure for University of Illinois (all campus) users
- Procedure for academic non-University of Illinois users
- Procedure for business or industrial users
ALREADY AN MRL USER?
- To add any new technique(s) to your existing project at MRL, select the 'Change of Scope' option (rather than the 'New' option) using the links above.
- To work on more than one project, submit a 'New' proposal for the additional project(s). You will be issued another MRL user ID, and your instrument permissions and safety training will be added to your new ID. Please note: if you add new technique(s) to your additional project, your new user ID will not be issued until your project has been reviewed by MRL staff. Please contact MRL Facilities staff with any questions.
- To change the account (CFOPA) that your existing MRL work will be billed to, please contact the MRL Facilities staff.
The following step-by-step guide illustrates the procedure for University of Illinois users, however the steps to submit a proposal are similar for outside academic and non-academic users: How to Submit a Proposal
For fee structure information, please visit the Usage Rates page.
- New MRL Researcher Orientation Session Schedule and Information
- Download the MRL Orientation Presentation
- New MRL Researcher Orientation Information for Off-Campus Users