Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) instruments are available for scanning in air, or other gases, or liquids within a wide variety of imaging and measurement modes, plus nanomanipulation. All of our instruments have sub-angstrom vertical resolution, as lateral resolution is generally limited by the tip geometry, not the instrument.
AFM tip distributors
NOTE: Commonly used tips and sample supplies are available for purchase in the MRL storeroom.
We most commonly use BS-Tap300Al tapping tips from BudgetSensors and for extra sharp tips, SuperSharpSilicon from Nanosensors. Both are carried in the storeroom.
Some other good sources of AFM tips:
- Nano and More USA, US distributor for BudgetSensors, NanoWorld and Nanosensors.
- Ted Pella, Inc., another distributor for BudgetSensors tips and other microscopy supplies.
- Asylum Research, distributors for Nanosensors and Olympus.
- Nanoscience Instruments, US distributor for VistaProbes, plus carbon nanotube tips (and a great resource for nanoscience educators).
- MikroMasch, many types, including the Hi-Res one nanometer tips.
- Novascan Technologies, functionalized tips with defined chemistries.