Lou Ann Miller
- Parkland College, Champaign IL Associate’s Degree - Computer Science: Web Design Jan 1996 - May 2001 (Includes courses in Networking, Art, Design, programming etc)
- Undergraduate Work - Medical Laboratory Sciences Fall 1975 - Spring 1977
- University of Illinois Medical Center, Chicago B.S Medical Laboratory Sciences Sept 1977 - June 1979 University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Non-degree Graduate Work in Electron Microscopy August 1981 - May 1982 Bevier Hall Microscopy Center
- 1974-1976 Dietary Department, student Help, Evening and Weekend Supervisor
- 1976-1977 Part time student job - Phlebotomy / EKG tech
- 1978-1979 University of Illinois, Chicago Medical Center, University Research Hospital Student Medical Technologist Assistant - Hematology
- 1989 - 1991 Part Time Medical Technologist (Blood Bank, Floater, Special Chemistry Hematology)
- 1979 - 1987 Full Time Mercy Hospital, Urbana Illinois ( now Presence)
- 1988 - 2010 University of Illinois, UIUC EM Tech IV College of Veterinary Medicine
- 2010 - present University of Illinois, UIUC MRL Staff - Biological TEM
- Certified Biological Electron Microscopist Microscopy Society of America 1988
- MT(ASCP) American Society of Clinical Pathology board certified Medical Technologist Fall 1979
- Biological and Soft Material Electron Microscopy Techniques (Including Negative Stain, Light and Electron Microscopy with epoxies and methacrylates, some cryo work)
- Sample Preparation specialized for each sample. Including free cells as well as solid material.
- Morphology - finding new structures and functions in unique samples
- Morphology - changes under research conditions
- Experience and trainer for DLS and Zetapotential work.
- Diagnostic TEM both in viral and biopsy work, for both human, mammals and aquatic specimens.
My Interests vary greatly, as I have worked a centralized service lab for both research and diagnostic work here at the University since 1988. I have seen samples from insects, aquatic samples from Shedd Aquarium, multiple Zoos, the college of Vet Med, and for many years human biopsies from local medical centers. Moving to MRL, my interests have also expanded to organelles, proteins, polymers and colloidal metals. Before coming to the University, my work did include Diagnostic Electron Microscopy and Technique Development, I have also worked with extensive experience in areas such as Clinical R & D, Special Chemistry, Hematology, Cryostat work, Microbiology prep and slide reading, Clinical Chemistry, Body Fluids, Blood Banking and worked in Histology with some experience in plastic embedding, as well as the more patient contact areas of phlebotomy and taking EKG readings.
I enjoy a variety of work, and challenges for prepping samples for Electron Microscopy, and enjoy teaching students techniques, and helping them identify morphology at the TEM.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Hess, Rex, Miller, Lou Ann, Kirby, John D., Margoliash, E., Goldberg, Erwin, Immunoelectron Microscopic Localization of Testicular and Somatic Cytochromes c in the Seminiferous Epithelium of the Rat, Biology of Reproduction, vol 48, 1299-1308, 1993
- Nardi James B, Bee, Charles M, Miller, L.A. “Segmental pairs of giant insect cells discharge presumptive immune proteins at each larval molt” Developmental Biology, March 2016
- Nardi, James B, Miller ,L.A., Bee, Charles M., “ A Novel arrangement of Midgut Epithelium and Hepatic Cells Implies a Novel Regulation of the Insulin Signaling Pathway in Long-lived Millipedes, Journal of Insect Physiology 91- June 2016
- Giberson, Richard T., Demaree, Richard S.Jr, editors, Chapter 8, Lou Ann Miller, pages 89-100 Microwave Techniques and Protocols, Humana Press, New Jersey, 2001
- Miller, Lou Ann, Practical Rapid Embedding Procedure for Transmission Electron Microscopy, Laboratory Medicine, J.B. Lippincott, Co., Philadelphia, Dec. 1982, p. 752-758
- Employee of the Month (1985)
- EM category American Society of Clinical Pathologists/ Kodak National Medical Photography Competition (1984, 1992, 1998)
- Robert Lucy Graham Award (2005)
- Chancellor’s Distinguished Staff Award (2006)