- Chinese Academy of Sciences, Soil Chemistry, Ph.D.
- Liaoning University, Chemistry, B.S.
- Research Scientist, Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Electron Microscopy, 2020-present
- Staff Electron Microscopist, Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Electron Microscopy, 2017-2020
- Academic Research Associate, Materials Science and Engineering and Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Biomaterials & Functional Polymers, 2015-2017
- Lab Assistant, Atomic and Nanoscale Characterization Experiments Center, Northwestern University, Surface Characterization, 2013
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Environmental Engineering, 2005-2007
- Graduate Research Assistant, Institute of Applied Ecology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Functional Polymers and Characterization , 1999-2004
My area of research is in the electron microscopy and microanalysis of novel functional materials, including metals, ceramics, semiconductors, thin films, geological materials, polymers, biological materials and nanostructured materials. My electron microscopy experience started when I was a graduate student conducting imaging and composition analysis on functional polymers and oxides nanoparticles. I use multiple scanning electron microscopy (SEM)-based imaging (SE, BSE) and analytical techniques (EDS, CL, EBSD, ECCI, EBIC) for obtaining materials information on microstructure, composition, crystal structure, electronic, optical, and transport properties, and the effects of defects on the properties. Through my research and facility experience, I also acquired expertise on transmission (TEM) and scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM), and related techniques, including high spatial resolution imaging, micro-/nano- diffraction, and composition analysis down to atomic scale.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Wang H., Wang R., Cai K., He H., Liu Y., Yen J., Wang Z., Xu M., Sun Y., Zhou X., Yin Q., Tang L., Dobrucka I., Dobrucki L., Chaney E., Boppart S., Fan T., Lezmi S., Chen X., Yin L., Cheng J. "Selective In Vivo Cell Labeling Mediated Cancer Targeting", Nature Chemical Biology, 2017, 13: 415-424.
- Xiong M., Bao Y., Xu X., Wang H., Han Z., Wang Z., Liu Y., Huang S., Song Z., Chen J., Peek R., Yin L., Chen L., Cheng J. “Selective Killing of Helicobacter pylori with pH-Responsive Helix-Coil Conformation Transitionable Antimicrobial Polypeptides”, PNAS, 2017, 114:12675-12680.
- Zhang C., Wipfler R., Li Y., Wang Z., Hallett E., Whitaker R. “Revealing S-layer Functions in the Hyperthermophilic Crenarchaeon Sulfolobus islandicus”, BioRxiv, Posted October 17, 2018. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/444406.
- Song Z., Fu H., Wang J., Hui J., Xue T., Pacheco L.A., Yan H., Baumgartner R., Wang Z., Xia Y., Wang X., Yin L., Chen C., Roderiguez-Lopez J., Ferguson A., Lin Y., Cheng J. “Synthesis of polypeptides via bioinspired polymerization of in situ purified N-carboxyanhydrides”, PNAS, 2019, 116 (22): 10658-10663.
- Zhang C., Wipfler R., Li Y., Wang Z., Hallett E., Whitaker R. “Cell structure changes in the hyperthermophilic crenarchaeon Sulfolobus islandicus lacking the S-layer”, mBio, 2019, 10 (4): 01589-19.
- Souza J., Claudino C., Kuznetsova M., Rodrigues B., Chen C., Wang Z., Sardela M. “Facile one-pot microwave-assisted synthesis of tungsten-doped BiVO4/WO3 heterojunctions with enhanced photocatalytic activity”, Materials Research Bulletin, 2020, 125: 110783.
- Song Z., Chen X., Wang Z., King S., Yan H., Cai K., Cheng J. “Potential Bleach Activators with Improved Imide Hydrolytic Stability”, International Journal of Industrial Chemistry, 2020, 11(3): 177-185.