For more information
- Ph.D., Applied Physics, Harvard University, 2011
- M.A., Physics, Harvard University, 2007
- M.Eng., Materials Engineering, Yonsei University, 2005
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, 2002
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2018-date
- Affiliate Faculty (0%), The Carle Illinois College of Medicine, UIUC, October, 2019-date
- Affiliate Faculty (0%), Materials Research Laboratory, UIUC, August, 2019-date
- Affiliate Faculty (0%), Department of Materials Science and Engineering, UIUC, September, 2013-date
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2012-August 15, 2018
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of California, Berkeley, 2011-2012
- Graduate Student Researcher & Postdoctoral Research Associate, Harvard University, 2005-2011
Other Professional Employment
- Research Associate, ILJIN Nanotech Co. Ltd., Seoul, Korea, 2002-2005
Many mechanical deformations, such as buckling, crumpling, wrinkling, collapsing, and delamination, are usually considered as threats to mechanical integrity and are avoided or reduced in the traditional design of materials and structures. Our research goes against these conventions by tailoring such mechanical instabilities to create new functional morphologies. We use ultralow bending stiffness and semiconducting properties of atomically-thin materials to enable emerging mechanically-coupled properties (e.g., quantum emission, exciton localization/condensation, tunable plasmonics, flexoelectricity, etc.) and device-level multi-functionalities that extend beyond those of bulk material systems.
Chapters in Books
- Wang, M.C., J. Choi, J. Bang, S. Chun, B. Smith, and S. Nam, (2015) Monolithic Graphene-Graphite Integrated Electronics. In E.S.W. Kong (Ed.), Nanomaterials, Polymers and Devices: Materials Functionalization and Device Fabrication (Chapter 18). Wiley (ISBN: 978-0-470-04806-1).
Selected Articles in Journals
- Nguyen, N. N., H. C. Lee, K. Baek, M. S. Yoo, H. Lee, H. Lim, S. Choi, C.‐J. Kim, S. Nam, and K. Cho, “Atomically Smooth Graphene‐Based Hybrid Template for the Epitaxial Growth of Organic Semiconductor Crystals,” Advanced Functional Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.202008813 (2021).
- Choi, C., J. Leem, M. S. Kim, A. Taqieddin, C. Cho, K. W. Cho, G. J. Lee, H. Seung, H. J. Bae, Y. M. Song, T. Hyeon, N. R. Aluru, S. Nam, and D.-H. Kim, “Curved Neuromorphic Image Sensor Array using a MoS2-organic Heterostructure Inspired by the Human Visual Recognition System,” Nature Communications 11, 5934 (2020).
- Snapp, P., C. Cho, D. Lee, M. F. Haque, S. Nam, and C. Park, “Tunable Piezoelectricity of Multifunctional Boron Nitride Nanotube/Polydimethylsiloxane Stretchable Composites,” Advanced Materials 32, 2004607 (2020).
- Snapp, P., M. Heiranian, M. T. Hwang, R. Bashir, N. R. Aluru, and S. Nam, “Current Understanding and Emerging Applications of 3D Crumpling Mediated 2D Material-Liquid Interactions,” Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science 24, 100836 (2020).
- Son, J., J.-Y. Lee, N. Han, J. Cha, J. Choi, J. Kwon, S. Nam, K.-H. Yoo, G.-H. Lee, and J. Hong, “Tunable Wettability of Graphene through Non-destructive Hydrogenation and Wettability-based Patterning for Bio-applications,” Nano Letters 20, 5625 (2020).
- Hwang, M., M. Heiranian, Y. Kim, S. You, J. Leem, A. Taqieddin, V. Faramarzi, Y. Jing, I. Park, A. van der Zande, S. Nam, N. Aluru, and R. Bashir, “Ultrasensitive Detection of Nucleic Acids using Deformed Graphene Channel Field Effect Biosensors,” Nature Communications 11, 1543 (2020).
- Lee, H. C., E. Y. Hsieh, K. Yong, and S. Nam, “Multiaxially-Stretchable Kirigami-Patterned Mesh Design for Graphene Sensor Devices,” Nano Research 13, 1406 (2020).
- Yong, K., S. De, E. Y. Hsieh, J. Leem, N. R. Aluru, and S. Nam, “Kirigami-Inspired Strain-Insensitive Sensors based on Atomically-Thin Materials,” Materials Today 34, 58 (2020).
- Kim, J. M., C. Cho, E. Y. Hsieh, and S. Nam, “Heterogeneous Deformation of Two-dimensional Materials for Emerging Functionalities,” Journal of Materials Research 35, 1369 (2020).
- Snapp, P., J. M. Kim, C. Cho, J. Leem, M. F. Haque, and S. Nam, “Interaction of 2D Materials with Liquids: Wettability, Electrochemical Properties, Friction, and Emerging Directions,” NPG Asia Materials 12, 22 (2020).
- Kim, Y., G. Pagan-Diaz, L. Gapinske, Y. Kim, J. Suh, E. Solomon, J. F. Harris, S. Nam, and R. Bashir, “Integration of Graphene Electrodes with 3D Skeletal Muscle Tissue Models,” Advanced Healthcare Materials 9, 1901137 (2020).
- Wang, G., S.-K. Kim, M. C. Wang, T. Zhai, S. Munukutla, G. S. Girolami, P. J. Sempsrott, S. Nam, P. V. Braun, J. W. Lyding, “Enhanced Electrical and Mechanical Properties of Chemically Cross-Linked Carbon Nanotube-Based Fibers and Their Application in High-Performance Supercapacitors,” ACS Nano 14, 632 (2020).
- Kim, K., J. Leem, H. N. Kim, P. Kang, J. Choi, M. F. Haque, D. Kang, and S. Nam, “Uniaxially Crumpled Graphene as a Platform for Guided Myotube Formation,” Microsystems & Nanoengineering (Nature) 5, 53 (2019).
- Alen, S. K., S. Nam, and S. A. Dastgheib, “Recent Advances in Graphene Oxide Membranes for Gas Separation Applications,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences 20, 5609 (2019).
- Krishna, A., J. M. Kim, J. Leem, M. C. Wang, S. Nam, and J. Lee, “Ultraviolet to Mid-Infrared Emissivity Control by Mechanically Reconfigurable Graphene,” Nano Letters 19, 5086 (2019).
- Leem, J., Y. Lee, M. C. Wang, J. M. Kim, J. Mun, M. F. Haque, S.-W. Kang, and S. Nam, “Crack-assisted, Localized Deformation of van der Waals Materials for Enhanced Strain Confinement,” 2D Materials 6, 044001 (2019).
- Kwon, S. S., J. Choi, M. Heiranian, Y. Kim, W. J. Chang, P. Knapp, M. C. Wang, J. M. Kim, N. R. Aluru, W. I. Park, and S. Nam, “Electrical Double Layer of Supported Atomically-thin Materials,” Nano Letters 19, 4588 (2019).
- Snapp, P., P. Kang, J. Leem, and S. Nam, “Colloidal Photonic Crystal Strain Sensor Integrated with Deformable Graphene Phototransducer,” Advanced Functional Materials 33, 1902216 (2019).
- Kim, R. H., J. Leem, C. Muratore, S. Nam, R. Rao, A. Jawaid, M. Durstock, M. McConney, L. Drummy, R. Rai, A. Voevodin, and N. Glavin, “Photonic Crystallization of Two-dimensional MoS2 for Stretchable Photodetectors,” Nanoscale 11, 13260 (2019).
- Mun, J., H. Park, J. Park, D. H. Joung, S.-K. Lee, J. Leem, J.-M. Myoung, J. Park, S.-H. Jeong, W. Chegal, S. Nam, and S.-W. Kang,"High-Mobility MoS2 Directly Grown on Polymer Substrate with Kinetics-Controlled Metal–Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition," ACS Applied Electronic Materials 1, 608 (2019).
- Diao, Y., G. Greenwood, M. C. Wang, S. Nam, and R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, "Slippery and Sticky Graphene in Water," ACS Nano 13, 2072 (2019).
- Kang, P., K.-H. Kim, H.-G. Park, and S. Nam, "Mechanically Reconfigurable Architectured Graphene for Tunable Plasmonic Resonances," Light: Science & Applications 7, 17 (2018).
- Kwon, S.S., J.H. Shin, J. Choi, S. Nam, and W. Park, "Nanotube-on-Graphene Heterostructures for Three-dimensional Nano/Bio-Interface," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 254, 16 (2018).
- Wang, M.C., W. Moestopo, S. Takekuma, S. Barna, R. Haasch, and S. Nam, "A Sustainable Approach to Large Area Transfer of Graphene and Recycling of the Copper Substrate," Journal of Materials Chemistry C 5, 11226 (2017).
- Yun, Y.J., J. Ju, J.H. Lee, S.-H. Moon, S.-J. Park, Y.H. Kim, W.G. Hong, D.H. Ha, H. Jang, G.H. Lee, H.-M. Chung, J. Choi, S. Nam, S.-H. Lee, and Y. Jun, "Highly Elastic Graphene-based Electronics Toward Electronic Skin," Advanced Functional Materials 1701513 (2017).
- Rosenberger, M., M.C. Wang, X. Xie, J. Rogers, S. Nam, and W. King, "Measuring Individual Carbon Nanotubes and Single Graphene Sheets using Atomic Force Microscope Infrared Spectroscopy," Nanotechnology 28, 355707 (2017).
- Kwon, S.S., J.H. Shin, J. Choi, S. Nam, and W. Park, "Defect Mediated Molecular Interaction and Charge Transfer in Graphene Mesh Glucose Sensors," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 9, 14216 (2017).
- Wang, M.C., J. Leem, P. Kang, J. Choi, P. Knapp, K. Yong, and S. Nam, "Mechanical Instability Driven Self-assembly and Architecturing of 2D Materials," 2D Materials 4, 022002 (2017).
- Choi, J., J. Mun, M.C. Wang, A. Ashraf, S.-W. Kang, and S. Nam, "Hierarchical, Dual Scale Structures of Atomically-thin MoS2 for Tunable Wetting," Nano Letters 17, 1756 (2017).
- Kim, M., P. Kang, J. Leem, and S. Nam, "Stretchable Crumpled Graphene Photodetector with Plasmonically-enhanced Photoresponsivity," Nanoscale 9, 4058 (2017).
- Ashraf, A., Y. Wu, M.C. Wang, K. Yong, T. Sun, Y. Jing, R.T. Haasch, N.R. Aluru, and S. Nam, "Doping-Induced Tunable Wettability and Adhesion of Graphene," Nano Letters 16, 4708 (2016).
- Ashraf, A., H. Salih, S. Nam, and S.A. Dastgheib, "Robust Carbon Nanotube Membranes Directly Grown on Hastelloy Substrates and Their Potential Application for Membrane Distillation," Carbon 106, 243 (2016).
- Yong, K., A. Ashraf, P. Kang, and S. Nam, "Rapid Stencil Mask Fabrication Enabled One-Step Polymer-Free Graphene Patterning and Dry Transfer for Flexible Graphene Devices," Scientific Reports 6, 24890 (2016).
- Kang, P., M.C. Wang, P.M. Knapp, and S. Nam, "Crumpled Graphene Photodetector with Enhanced, Strain-tunable and Wavelength-selective Photoresponsivity," Advanced Materials 28, 4639 (2016).
- Kang, P., M.C. Wang, and S. Nam, "Bioelectronics with Two-dimensional Materials," Microelectronic Engineering 161, 18 (2016).
- Kwon, S., J. Yi, W. Lee, J. Shin, S. Kim, S. Cho, S. Nam, and W. Park, "Reversible and Irreversible Responses of Defect-engineered Graphene-based Electrolyte-gated pH Sensors," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 8, 834 (2016).
- Leem, J., M.C. Wang, P. Kang, and S. Nam, "Mechanically Self-assembled, Three-dimensional Graphene-Gold Hybrid Nanostructures for Advanced Nanoplasmonic Sensors," Nano Letters 15, 7684 (2015).
- Yi, J., S. Kim, W. Lee, S. Kwon, S. Nam, and W. Park, "Graphene Meshes Decorated with Palladium Nanoparticles for Hydrogen Detection," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 48, 475103 (2015).
- Choi, J., H. Kim, M.C. Wang, J. Leem, W. King, and S. Nam, "Three-Dimensional Integration of Graphene via Swelling, Shrinking, and Adaptation," Nano Letters 15, 4525 (2015).
- Kim, H.J., J. Choi, S. Nam, and W. King, "Batch Fabrication of Transfer-Free Graphene-Coated Micocantilevers," IEEE Sensors Journal 15, 2717 (2015).
- Wang, M. C., S. Chun, R. Han, A. Ashraf, P. Kang, and S. Nam, "Heterogeneous, Three-dimensional Texturing of Graphene," Nano Letters 15, 1829 (2015).
- Ashraf, A., Y. Wu, M.C. Wang, N. Aluru, S. Dastgheib, and S. Nam, "Spectroscopic Investigation of the Wettability of Multilayer Graphene using Highly Ordered Pyrolytic Graphite as a Model Material," Langmuir 30, 12827, 2014.
- Nam, S., I. Choi, C. Fu, K. Kim, S. Hong, Y. Choi, A. Zettl, and L.P. Lee, "Graphene Nanopore with a Self-Integrated Optical Antenna," Nano Letters 14, 5584, 2014.
- Bang, J., J. Choi, F. Xia, S.S. Kwon, A. Ashraf, W. Park, and S. Nam, "Assembly and Densification of Nanowire Arrays via Shrinkage," Nano Letters 14, 3304, 2014.
- Choi, J., M.C. Wang, R.Y. S. Cha, W. Park, and S. Nam, "Graphene Bioelectronics," Biomedical Engineering Letters 3, 201, 2013.
- Lee, M.-S., K. Lee, S.-Y. Kim, H. Lee, J. Park, K.-H. Choi, H.-K. Kim, D.-G. Kim, D.-Y. Lee, S. Nam, and J.-U. Park, “High-Performance, Transparent and Stretchable Electrodes using Graphene-Metal Nanowire Hybrid Structures,” Nano Letters 13, 2814, 2013.
- Park, J.-U., S. Nam, M.-S. Lee, and C.M. Lieber, “Synthesis of Monolithic Graphene-Graphite Integrated Electronics,” Nature Materials 11, 120, 2012.
- Yan, H., H. Choe, S. Nam, Y. Hu, S. Das, J.F. Klemic, J.C. Ellenbogen, and C.M. Lieber, “Programmable Nanowire Circuits for Nanoprocessors,” Nature 470, 240, 2011.
- Nam, S., X. Jiang, Q. Xiong, D. Ham, and C.M. Lieber, “Vertically Integrated, Three-Dimensional Nanowire Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Circuits,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106, 21035, 2009.
- Jiang, X., Q. Xiong, S. Nam, F. Qian, Y. Li, and C.M. Lieber, “InAs/InP Radial Nanowire Heterostructures as High Electron Mobility Devices,” Nano Letters 7, 3214, 2007.
- Javey, A., S. Nam, R.S. Friedman, H. Yan, and C.M. Lieber, “Layer-by-Layer Assembly of Nanowires for Three-Dimensional, Multi-functional Electronics,” Nano Letters 7, 773, 2007.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Chun, S., J. Choi, A. Ashraf, and S. Nam, "Three-Dimensional, Flexible Graphene Bioelectronics," Proceedings of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference (EMBC), 2014.
- Nam, S., S. Chun, and J. Choi, "All-Carbon Graphene Bioelectronics," Proceedings of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference (EMBC), 2013.
- Nam, S., M. Lee, and J.-U. Park, "Monolithic Graphene Transistor Biointerfaces," Proceedings of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference (EMBC), 2012.
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2020-Present
- Member, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS), 2018-Present
- Member, Society of Engineering Science (SES), 2017-Present
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2013-Present
- Member, Biophysical Society, 2013-Present
- Member, Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), 2013-Present
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2013-Present
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS), 2008-Present
- Rose Award for Teaching Excellence, College of Engineering, 2018
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, 2013, 2015 & 2017
- Provost's Initiative on Teaching Advancement (PITA) Award, 2013
- List of Teachers Ranked as Outstanding by Their Students (Top 10%), 2013
- Certificate of Distinction in Teaching, Harvard University, 2009
- Anderson Faculty Scholar, UIUC, 2020-Present
- Center for Advanced Study, UIUC, 2020-2021
- Campus Distinguished Promotion Award, UIUC, 2018
- TMS 2018 Early Career Faculty Fellow Award, 2018
- Hanwha Advanced Materials Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 2017
- Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, 2017
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Research, College of Engineering, 2017
- Arab-American Frontiers Fellowship, U.S. National Academy of Sciences, 2017
- Poster Award, ASME IMECE 2016 Micro & Nano Technology Forum, 2016
- Invited Participant, 2016 Arab-American Frontiers of Science, Engineering, and Medicine Symposium, U.S. National Academy of Sciences, 2016
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Early Career Faculty (ECF) Award, 2016
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Research Program (YIP) Award, 2016
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) Award, 2016
- Poster Award, ASME IMECE 2015 Micro & Nano Technology Forum, 2015
- IEEE EMBS Micro and Nanotechnology in Medicine Conference New Innovators Lectureship, 2014
- Young Investigator Award, Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association (KSEA), 2014
- Doctoral New Investigator Award, American Chemical Society (ACS) Petroleum Research Fund (PRF), 2013
- Gold Award, Materials Research Society (MRS), 2011
- Outstanding Student Designer Award at ISSCC, Analog Devices, 2010
- GSAS Merit Fellowship, Harvard University, 2009
- The Samsung Scholarship, Samsung Foundation of Culture, 2005
- Humantec Award, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., 2002
- Summa Cum Laude with the Valedictorian Prize, Seoul National University, 2002
Recent Courses Taught
- BIOE 497 SWN - Individual Study
- ME 330 - Engineering Materials
- ME 498 NN3 (ME 498 NN4) - Intro to Nanosci & Nanotech
- ME 598 AN1 (ME 598 AN2) - Nano-Fab & Characterization