Julio Antonio Nieri D Soares
- Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil Solid State Physics Ph.D. (1997)
- Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil Solid State Physics M.Sc. (1993)
- Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil Physics B.Sc. (1990)
- 1998 – 2002 Postdoctoral Associate Research Scientist, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- 2002 – 2004 Postdoctoral Associate Research Scientist, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- 2004 Postdoctoral Associate Research Scientist, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- 2004 – 2012 Research Scientist Engineer, Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- 2012 - present Senior Research Scientist, Central Research Facilities, Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- General materials characterization with emphasis on optical methods of characterization.
- Optical spectroscopy.
- Photonic materials.
I have been involved in many aspects of materials characterization and growth (solid and gas phase MBE), in special on semiconductor epitaxial thin films and heterostructures (III-V and group IV). My main research interests cover several fields of materials fabrication and characterization. photonic materials and structures, semiconductor heterostructure-based devices and systems. I have interest in new 2D materials, soft materials for device and technological applications and biological material applications, especially as study platforms for the understanding of the fundamental physical and biological processes involved in those applications. Other areas that interest me is the application of optical methods of materials characterization in geology, archeology, food sciences, environmental sciences, to cite a few. I have considerable experience on many optical spectroscopies and imaging analysis techniques, applied to materials systems encompassing hard and soft materials, superlattices, heterostructures, superconducting structures, oxides, nitrides, and bio materials. Multi-technique characterization methods, issues involving technique development, and cross-technique analysis are of particular interest to me.
Selected Articles in Journals
- “A new method for calculating photo- and electroreflectance spectra from semiconductor heterostructures”, R. Enderlein, D. Beliaev, J. A. N. T. Soares, L. M. R. Scolfaro, and J. R. Leite, Physical Review B 52, 2814 (1995).
- “Photoreflectance investigations of semiconductor device structures”, J. A. N. T. Soares, D. Beliaev, R. Enderlein, L. M. R. Scolfaro, M. Saito, and J. R. Leite, Materials Science and Engineering B 35, 267 (1995).
- “Photoreflectance spectra from GaAs HEMT structures reinvestigated: Solution of an old controversy”, J. A. N. T. Soares, R. Enderlein, D. Beliaev, J. R. Leite, and M. Saito, Semiconductor Science and Technology 13, 1418 (1998).
- “Lineshape analysis of photoreflectance spectra from InGaAs/GaAs quantum wells”, N. M. S. Choque, D. Beliaev, J. A. N. T. Soares, L. M. R. Scolfaro, A. L. Sperandio, A. A. Quivy, J. R. Leite, Superlattices and Microstructures 26, 243 (1999).
- “Arsenic-doped Si(001) gas-source molecular-beam epitaxy: Growth kinetics and transport properties”, J. A. N. T. Soares, H. Kim, G. Glass, P. Desjardins, and J. E. Greene, Applied Physics Letters 74, 1290 (1999).
- “Arsenic incorporation during Si(001):As gas-source molecular-beam epitaxy from Si2H6 and AsH3 : Effects on film-growth kinetics”, H. Kim, G. Glass, J. A. N. T. Soares, P. Desjardins, and J. E. Greene, Journal of Applied Physics 88, 7067 (2000).
- “Temperature-modulated Si(001):As gas-source molecular beam epitaxy: Growth kinetics and As incorporation”, H. Kim, G. Glass, J. A. N. T. Soares, Y. L. Foo, P. Desjardins, and J. E. Greene, Applied Physics Letters 79, 3263 (2001).
- “Carbon incorporation pathways and lattice sites in Si1-yCy alloys grown on Si(001) by molecular-beam epitaxy”, S. Y. Park, J. D’Arcy-Gall, D. Gall, J. A. N. T Soares, Y.-W. Kim, H. Kim, P. Desjardins, J. E. Greene, and S. G. Bishop, Journal of Applied Physics 91, 5716 (2002).
- “Near band-edge optical properties of cubic GaN”, J. R. L. Fernandez, O. C. Noriega, J. A. N. T. Soares, F. Cerdeira, E. A. Meneses, J. R. Leite, D. J. As, D. Schikora, and K. Lischka, Solid State Communications 125, 205 (2002).
- “C incorporation and segregation during Si1-yCy/Si(001) gas-source molecular beam epitaxy from Si2H6 and CH3SiH3”, Y. L. Foo, K. A. Bratland, B. Cho, J. A. N. T. Soares, P. Desjardins, and J. E. Greene, Surface Science 513, 475 (2002).
- “Mechanism for epitaxial breakdown during low-temperature Ge(001) molecular beam epitaxy”, K. A. Bratland, Y. L. Foo, J. A. N. T. Soares, T. Spila, P. Desjardins, and J. E. Greene, Physical Review B. 67, 125322 (2003).
- “Optical and x-ray diffraction studies on the incorporation of carbon as a dopant in cubic GaN”, J. R. L. Fernandez, F. Cerdeira, E. A. Meneses, and M. J. S. P. Brasil, J. A. N. T. Soares, A. M. Santos, O. C. Noriega, and J. R. Leite, D. J. As, U. Köhler, S. Potthast, and D. G. Pacheco-Salazar, Physical Review B 68, 155204 (2003).
- “Near band-edge optical properties of cubic GaN with and without carbon doping”, J.R.L. Fernandez, F. Cerdeira, E.A. Meneses, J.A.N.T. Soares, O.C. Noriega, J.R. Leite, D.J. As, U. Köhler, D.G.P. Salazar, D. Schikora, K. Lischka, Microelectronics Journal 35, 73 (2004)
- “Vapor-Phase Growth and Characterization of Luminescent Silicon Layers", E. A. de Vasconcelos, J. B. da Silva Jr., B. E. C. A. dos Santos, E. F. da Silva Jr., W. M. de Azevedo, J. A. K. Freire, J. A. N. T. Soares, J. R. Leite, Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Physics of Semiconductors, ed. José Menéndez and Chris G. Van de Walle, Flagstaff, AZ p. 837 (2005).
- “Cd-based II-VI semiconductor nanostructures produced by buffer-layer-assisted growth: Structural evolution and photoluminescence”, P. Swaminathan, V. N. Antonov, J. A. N. T. Soares, J. S. Palmer, J. H. Weaver, Physical Review B 73, 125430 (2006).
- “Photoluminescence of CdSe quantum dots and rods from buffer-layer-assisted growth”, V. N. Antonov, P. Swaminathan, J. A. N. T. Soares, J. S. Palmer, J. H. Weaver, Applied Physics Letters 88, 121906 (2006).
- “Apparatus for the imaging of infrared photoluminescence, transmittance, and phototransmittance with high spatial and spectral resolutions”, R. Furstenberg, J. A. Soares, J. O. White, Review of Scientific Instruments 77, 073101 (2006).
- “Quantitative multispectral biosensing and 1D imaging using quasi-3D plasmonic crystals”, M. E. Stewart, N. H. Mack, V. Malyarchuk, J. A. N. T. Soares, T.-W. Lee, S. K. Gray, R. G. Nuzzo, J. A. Rogers, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 103, 17143 (2006).
- “Enhanced fluorescence emission from quantum dots on a photonic crystal surface”, Nikhil Ganeshi, Wei Zhang, Patrick C. Mathias, Edmond Chow, J. A. N. T. Soares, Viktor Malyarchuk, Adam D. Smith, Brian T. Cunningham, Nature Nanotechnology 2, 515 (2007).
- “Optically tuned resonant optical reflectance filter”, Fuchyi Yang, Gary Yen, Gilles Rasigade, Julio A. N. T. Soares, and Brian T. Cunningham, Applied Physics Letters 92, 091115 (2008).
- “Synthesis of linked carbon monolayers: Films, balloons, tubes, and pleated sheets”, Mitchell J. Schultz, Xiaoyu Zhang, Sakulsuk Unarunotai, Dahl-Young Khang, Qing Cao, Congjun Wang, Changhui Lei, Scott MacLaren, Julio A. N. T. Soares, Ivan Petrov, Jeffrey S. Moore, and John A. Rogers, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105, 7353 (2008).
- “Photoluminescence and Photoluminescence Excitation Spectroscopy of Cu(In,Ga)Se-2 Thin Films”, Damon N.Herbert, Julio A. N. T. Soares, and Angus A. Rockett, THIN-FILM COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTOR VOLTAICS-2009 Book Series: Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings Volume: 1165 Pages: 93-100 ( 2010).
- “Introduction to Optical Characterization of Materials”, Julio A. N. T. Soares in “Practical Materials Characterization”, Ed. Mauro Sardela, Springer, New York, NY (2014).
- “Low temperature photoluminescence spectroscopy studies on sputter deposited CdS/CdTe junctions and solar cells” Mohit Tuteja, Prakash Koirala, Julio;Soares, Robert Collins, Angus Rockett., Journal of Materials Research 31, 186 (2016).
- “Barite from the Linwood Mine, Scott County, Iowa”, Jared T. Freiburg, Julio A. N. T. Soares, Pingfan Hu, Rocks and Minerals 92, 18 (2017).
- "Self-Assembled, Nanostructured, Tunable Metamaterials via Spinodal Decomposition", Chen, Zuhuang; Wang, Xi; Qi, Yajun; Yang, Sui; Soares, Julio A. N. T.; Apgar, Brent; Gao, Ran; Xu, Ruijuan; Lee, Yeonbae; Zhang, Xiang; Yao, Jie; Martin, Lane, ACS Nano, in press.
- “Hierarchically structured zirconia reinforced by hybrid graphene/alumina nanofibers”, Irina Hussainova, Maria Drozdova, Domingo Pérez-Coll, Fernando Rubio-Marcos, Iwona Jasiuk, Julio A.N.T. Soares, Miguel A. Rodríguez, J. European Ceramic Society, submitted.